PORT BYRON, Illinois – A group of serial golf cart thieves is roaming the Quad City Area after four golf carts were stolen from Byron Hills Golf Club in Port Byron early Saturday morning.
It’s a “whodunit” after co-owner Bruce Sutton says four carts were taken by two thieves.
“It took ten minutes to get four carts,” says Sutton. “They are definitely hot-wiring just like a regular car.”
And it’s not only at Byron Hills, co-owner Jeff Timmerman of Country View Golf Club in Geneseo lost four carts to the bandits last month too.
“We have insurance, but still we feel violated when things like this happen,” explains Sutton.
The cart crooks seem to be going after the same Yamaha make and model, which Sutton says could cost about $20,000 to replace the four of them, with insurance.
“That tells me they are good at what they do,” Sutton says.
Even looking at the security footage you can see two thieves strategically taking each cart one by one followed by driving them off the same path.
“They just go to the last row, last carts and take them,” explains Sutton.
The trail looped them around to the ninth tee and they escaped through this gaping hole in the chain-linked fence.
“If this wouldn’t have been here, we wouldn’t have known,” Sutton comments about the fence.
“Eventually they’ll get caught, eventually they’ll mess up, and get caught we hope,” Sutton says. “But in the meantime, it’s thousands of dollars gone.”
The golf cart thieves left a trail behind – the first clue to cracking the case.
This is the second time Byron Hills had golf carts stolen. Last fall two other carts were taken.
Four golf carts were also stolen from Highland Springs in Milan in early June.
The heat and humidity we have experienced so far this summer will pale in comparison to what is ahead for us this week.
As the remnants of former Hurricane Barry push to the north an area of high pressure in the southwest United States will continue to strengthen and reinforce a dome of heat that will eventually expand east this week. While heat index values Monday and Tuesday will just be oppressive, they will quickly elevate to dangerous levels by Thursday and Friday as more humidity works into the Quad Cities.
Heat index values will remain in the 90s Monday through Wednesday, but as actual temperatures rise into the middle and even upper 90s by Thursday into the weekend, heat index values will also soar. We will easily surpass a "feels like" temperature of 100° by Wednesday and then approach 110-115° by Thursday. This will make strenuous outdoor activity quite dangerous, especially if you don't remain hydrated and take frequent breaks.
We won't get much relief in the form of showers and thunderstorms this week either. The leftover moisture from Barry will quickly get pulled east and keep the heaviest rains south of the Quad Cities. Meanwhile, the active storm track will also be pushed to our north where several complexes of thunderstorms will ride the edge of the heat dome. There is a small chance that areas north of the Quad Cities could get clipped by this northern activity as early as Wednesday morning and continuing through Friday. While those odds are small, whatever areas do receive rain will see a brief break from the heat.
With the lack of organized rains expected this week, soils will continue to dry out quickly. This is a trend that we will be tracking carefully as it could begin to have agricultural impacts in the coming weeks.
Until then, if you don't need to be outside beginning Wednesday through Saturday, I'd advise staying in the A/C and keeping it cool. If you must be outside during these times, you know the drill! A lot of WATER and frequent breaks in the shade are in order.
Meteorologist Andrew Stutzke
GALESBURG, Illinois — Galesburg police were seeking help in finding a 51-year-old woman who was reported missing and endangered.
Tina M. Winston was last seen Saturday, July 13, according to a sergeant with the Galesburg Police Department. There was no clothing description provided.
Police said Winston is considered endangered, which could indicate a medical issue or other threat to her health. The exact cause of her endangered status was not clear.
Police said Winston may have driven off in a silver 2004 Toyota Rav 4. It’s possible she may be in Galesburg, Monmouth, or Burlington.
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Tina Winston, you are asked to call the Galesburg Police Department at 309-343-9151.
(CNN) — A beloved activist and founder of an African-American museum in Baton Rouge was found dead in the trunk of a car, CNN affiliate WBRZ reported.
The body of Sadie Roberts-Joseph, 75, was located Friday but it wasn’t immediately clear what led officers to the car. The cause of her death is still unknown, police told the station.
The vehicle was about 3 miles from her home, CNN affiliate WAFB reported.
Roberts-Joseph was a renowned advocate in the Baton Rouge area. She founded the Odell S. Williams Now and Then African American Museum in 2001, where she had been hosting the city’s Juneteenth celebration for years.
“Ms. Sadie was a tireless advocate of peace in the community,” the police department said in a statement. “Ms. Sadie is a treasure to our community, she will be missed by BRPD and her loss will be felt in the community she served.
She also founded Community Against Drugs and Violence, a non-profit organization focused in creating a safer environment for children in North Baton Rouge.
Local politicians, advocates and community members on Saturday mourned Roberts-Joseph’s death.
State Representative C. Denise Marcelle said in a Facebook post that the activist “never bothered anyone” and was looking to expand her museum.
The NAACP Baton Rouge Branch remembered Roberts-Joseph in a Facebook post.
“We lost a Cultural Legend Yesterday! #RIP Sadie Roberts Joseph,” the group wrote. “From reviving Juneteenth, to the Culture preserved at Her Museum, she was a trendsetter and icon in this City.”
Police investigating the activist’s death urged anyone with information about the case to call police detectives at 225-389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at 225-344-STOP (7867).
(CNN) — Mason Fierro is being hailed as a hero after catching a two-month-old baby girl and toddler from an apartment window during a fire in northeastern Albuquerque Friday.
The construction worker told CNN affiliate KOAT-TV he and others were putting a roof on the building next door when the flames began.
A man was screaming from a window on the second story of the apartment complex with the baby and toddler hanging out of the window, Fierro told KOAT. The rest of the construction crew were bringing ladders over when Fierro told the man to drop his children.
“He dropped her. I caught her. Then they bring out another little boy, two or three years old, then we caught him as well,” Fierro said.
Lt. Tom Ruiz, a spokesman for the Albuquerque Fire Rescue, told CNN the fire sent three people to the hospital. The two children were taken to the hospital by family and one person was taken by ambulance for smoke inhalation. All are in stable condition, Ruiz said.
The apartment complex was “a total loss,” he said. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Ruiz said even though firefighters were on scene within five minutes, he’s glad Fierro and the other workers were quick to act.
“Those people were in dire need of rescue weren’t able to wait on us,” Ruiz said.
Fierro said he shouldn’t be the only one getting praise, though, because he couldn’t have done it without the help of the rest of the crew.
“Those kids are alive because of what those construction workers did quickly and concisely,” Ruiz said.
Ruiz also said the fire department doesn’t recommend attempting a rescue without the proper equipment.
“That’s something we’d like for them to leave to us,” he said. “Those construction workers already had equipment. … They made the decision to act and that can be more commended than anything else.”
(CNN) - Barry weakened Sunday afternoon as it crept over northwestern Louisiana, but the storm was still threatening millions with possible "life-threatening" flooding.
As it headed deeper inland, Barry was downgraded to a tropical depression, according to the National Hurricane Center's latest public advisory.
A tropical storm is a weather system that has sustained winds from 39 mph to 73 mph. The sustained wind speeds of a tropical depression are up to 39 mph.
As of Sunday afternoon, Barry was crawling north across Louisiana at around 9 mph -- slower than a bicyclist. That means it's still hovering over the same state where it made landfall Saturday, dumping copious amounts of rain on cities already deluged.
And it's not even close to done.
"Barry is expected to produce additional rain accumulations of 3 to 6 inches across portions of the lower Mississippi Valley with isolated maximum amounts of 10 inches across eastern Arkansas, western Tennessee, southeast Missouri, and northwest Mississippi," the NHC said.
An additional 3 to 5 inches of rain are expected across south-central Louisiana, with as much as 15 inches in some spots, the NHC said, adding that the additional rain could cause "dangerous, life-threatening flooding."
More than 11 million people are under flash-flood watches Sunday from the Gulf Coast all the way to the southern Midwest, CNN meteorologist Haley Brink said.
"Tornadoes are also possible across areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas today," she said.
"The system is expected to track -- slowly -- north over the coming days, bringing heavy rain with it along the Mississippi River."
The center of the tropical depression is forecast to move into Arkansas Sunday evening and Monday, the NHC said.
Louisiana's governor urged residents to stay alert and follow any orders from officials.
"Now is not the time to let your guard down," Edwards said. "In addition to the rainfall, there has been increased tornadic activity and a continued chance for more flash flooding as well."'The house was under water'
In St. Mary Parish, about 60 miles east of where Barry made landfall, 64-year-old Joyce Webber hunkered down with about 20 other people at a community center when she learned a large tree branch had fallen on her mobile home, and her storm door had blown off.
"Trailers don't hold, no matter what type of storm," Webber said. "They just don't hold."
In Mandeville, Ludovico Torri woke up Saturday to a surprising sight: Lake Pontchartrain was suddenly at the door of his house.
"The entire street and area under the house was underwater," Torri said.
It took just 90 minutes for the water to rise another foot. Torri's car nearly flooded. And his family, including four children, were stranded in their home.
Others, like Ollie and Hazel Jordan, struggled to find a place where both they and their pets can stay safe. The couple, both in their early 70s, walked a mile in the rain from their trailer to a shelter at a Baton Rouge middle school -- only to be told they couldn't in their two cats and small dog.
But officials learned after Hurricane Katrina that some residents wouldn't evacuate because they couldn't bring their pets. That led to tragic outcomes.
This time, officials set up a mobile disaster pet shelter, where the Jordans were able to safely house their dog and cats.Torrents of water overwhelm levees
Three levees in St. Mary Parish were overtopped by water Saturday, said David Naquin, the parish's director of homeland security and emergency preparedness.
The Glencoe community had to be evacuated, but Naquin said Sunday he believes only a few homes have flooded.
In Plaquemines Parish, southeast of New Orleans, multiple levees were overcome by floodwaters Saturday.
The overtopping happened in less populated areas. But officials worry that Highway 23 could flood, trapping more residents.The Big Easy can breathe a bit easier
The good news: Fears of catastrophic storm surges overwhelming New Orleans' levee system didn't materialize this weekend. But that doesn't mean Barry is done thrashing the Big Easy.
All eyes were on the Mississippi River, as forecasts showed a possible storm surge of 2 to 3 feet that could have raised the river's level to 19 feet in New Orleans. The levees protect up to only 20 feet.
But the storm surge was lower than expected. And even with the heavy rain ahead, the National Weather Service is now only predicting the river will rise only to 17.1 feet, with the next crest expected to happen on Monday.
(CNN) – He really does get by with a little help from his friends.
Paul McCartney invited a special guest to join him during the last stop of his Freshen Up tour at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles Saturday night: old bandmate Ringo Starr.
“We’ve got a surprise for us, a surprise for you, a surprise for everyone,” McCartney said. “Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Ringo Starr.”
McCartney and Starr, the last surviving Beatles, hugged onstage. A stripped-down drum kit was brought out for Starr before the band launched into two of the Fab Four’s classics, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)” and “Helter Skelter.”
The crowd exploded with enthusiasm. Some fans teared up and others looked like they couldn’t believe their eyes. One attendee could be heard saying, “I knew Ringo was in town. I was hoping!”
It seemed like thousands of tiny jewels lit the stadium as concertgoers took out their phones to document the moment.
While their joint appearance was rare, it’s not the first time the two former Beatles have performed together in recent years. They teamed up at the Grammys in 2014.
McCartney had been in a playful mood throughout the evening, referencing his return to Dodger Stadium, where the Beatles played what would end up being their penultimate live show in August 1966.
Starr was not the only guest to make an appearance. Joe Walsh, of Eagles fame, also joined McCartney to end the concert with “The End,” from the Beatles’ “Abbey Road.”
SILVIS, Illinois — Dylan Frittelli is the winner of the 2019 John Deere Classic.
Frittelli, age 29, finished all four rounds at 21 under par. His best day on the par-71 course at TPC Deere Run was Round 4 at 64.
This is the Johannesburg, South Africa-native’s first PGA Tour championship. He has had four international victories before this, according to his stats profile on the PGA Tour’s website. Frittelli turned pro in 2012.
Russell Henley held the lead for part of the afternoon after finishing Round Four at 61 strokes; his best round of the weekend.
2019 marked 20 years for John Deere being the tournament’s title sponsor. About 150 players took the field Thursday, July 11 for the first round. As the weekend progressed, 80 were left after the cut on Friday.
Henley held the lead for part of the afternoon after finishing Round Four at 61 strokes; his best round of the weekend.
(CNN) — The show must go on in New York, even if parts of Manhattan have lost power, forcing the evacuation of Broadway theaters and sending tens of thousands of people onto darkened streets.
The cast of the Broadway musical “Hadestown” took their show to the road, literally — performing outside the Walter Kerr Theatre for fans.
In a video, posted on Twitter by cast member Kimberly Marable, Tony Award winner André De Shields sang the show’s opening number, with revised lyrics: “Ooh, it’s a blackout!” The crowd on the street joined in at his urging, creating a sidewalk singalong.
“Hadestown” wasn’t the only musical to take to streets after losing power — the casts of “Hamilton,”Rock of Ages,” “Waitress” and “Come From Away” held similar impromptu performances.
Twitter user Antony posted a video of the Hamilton cast singing to fans from above the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York.
The cast of “Rock of Ages” performed its foot stomping closing number, Journey’s ”Don’t Stop Believin,” to the street. “The show must go on, right?!” wrote Twitter user Michael Mahany.
“Waitress” also kept the street party going, even as the traffic stalled behind them, according to a video posted by People magazine reporter Dave Quinn.
The Tony Award-winning “Come From Away” tweeted that it’s important to come together in times of darkness, after Twitter user Billy Recce posted this video of the cast continuing their performance outside the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre.
Power was restored early on Sunday morning, but not before affecting 72,000 Con Edison customers in New York, primarily in Midtown Manhattan and the Upper West Side.
DAVENPORT, Iowa — West Lake Park just outside of Davenport with be closed for renovation soon.
Work crews at the lakefront facility will be draining the lake starting Monday, July 15th. Restoration work will begin at this time, but the facility will remain open to the public until August 1st.
According to a notice from the Scott County Conservation Board, the renovation project aims to restore the shoreline, construct multiple ponds and fishing areas, and restock the lake’s population of game fish.
The construction is set to last through the entire 2020 season.
DAVENPORT, Iowa — A fire has broken out near the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center in Davenport.
This video was captured a significant distance away from the blaze by Patrick Tyne. It shows the large smoke plume blowing away from the location.
WQAD will update this story as information becomes available.